22 August 2021 / Club News

Porthcawl Youth Vs Dulais Valley Youth

On the back of a last-minute win last week against Nantyffyllon, Porthcawl were looking forward to welcoming Dulais Valley to South Road.

The Swansea valley side had already enjoyed back-to-back wins against Kenfig Hill, Bonymaen Morriston and Baglan.
Dulais Valley were looking to continue with their winning streak of four consecutive wins, the well supported traveling team arrived at Porthcawl without delay.

Porthcawl had done their homework on the very physical Dulais Valley team, a pre match analysis session was held by Head Coach Simon Norris CHUCK

Dulais started the match who were instantly put under pressure by Porthcawl following on from several phases of play and a superb individual effort by the energetic tighthead prop Toby Reay crossing the try line for the first try of the match converted by captain Elliot Bennett Porthcawl took an early lead of 7-0

From the restart Dulais put Porthcawl under pressure deep in their own 22, only to be knocked on by Dulais with the referee awarding a scrum to Porthcawl.

A strong scrum from Porthcawl allowed birthday boy Connor Mundy who turned 16 today some clean ball, who slickly passed the ball out wide to Luke Roberts Porthcawl were on the attack.

The powerful winger Tom Flanagan really turned on the boosters’ meters from the far side touchline with a sprint of 80 meters finished off in style with a sidestep for the second try of the match merely minutes after the first one converted again by Elliott Bennett.

It was clear the Dulais were shellshocked and Porthcawl took advantage of this at the restart adding more pressure the Bristol Bears Under 18’s winger Gabe Lacey ripped apart the midfield defence passing to his teammate Jay Sheen who scored another well worked try from Porthcawl.

A failed conversion attempt on this occasion Porthcawl had a lead of 19-0 after twenty minutes.
The strong Dulais Valley team who were very aggressive at the breakdown, didn’t make it easy for Porthcawl who had to work hard to keep the ball.

From a Dulais lineout just over the 10-meter line Porthcawl’s Josh Woodbridge won the arial battle who allowed a well organised maul to take shape took the young gull’s back inside Dulais own half only to be pulled down by Dulais with the referee awarding a penalty to Porthcawl.

Quickly taken Porthcawl were on the front foot hitting up Dom Manaseitava followed by the determined Porthcawl forwards continued to push Dulais back keeping them under pressure.

The quick thinking of scrumhalf Connor Mundy who had a cheeky pickup and run allowed the flowing hands of Luke Roberts and Jay Sheen to put the ball out wide to Tom Flanagan who crossed the whitewash for the second time in the first half, finely converted again by Bennett Porthcawl now leading 26-0

Following an incident shortly after Gabe Lacey unfortunately had to leave the pitch for hospital treatment, we wish him a speedy recovery.

The cracks were starting to show for Dulais with the referee having to stop the match due to indiscipline of one of their players resulting in a red card, Porthcawl wanted to play rugby and tried not to get caught up in the situation, however it was difficult for them at times.

From the restart cleanly received by Josh Woodbridge and supported by Jack Olding and Taylor Gape Porthcawl were on the attack in the closing minutes of the first half, the inspiring Ongani Kalongo cleaning out the ruck securing the ball for Porthcawl Luke Roberts with a kick over the defensive line of Dulais swiftly secured by Ollie Sadd.

Meters from the try line Dulais threw everything at Porthcawl this wasn’t enough to stop the talented hooker Joe Dingle scoring his first try of the season conversion missed Porthcawl were leading 31-0 at halftime.

Porthcawl started the second half slowly allowing Dulais to score two tries in rapped succession both converted taking the score to 31-14 to Porthcawl.

This  certainly was a game of two half’s for both teams Porthcawl thought that this game was done and dusted, Dulais were not going to give up that easy saw them score two more tries missing both conversions totally shocking the home team from a 31-point advantage at the break the score was now 31-24 credit to Dulais.

With the game almost turning on its head Porthcawl had to restructure promptly, or this could be an embarrassing defeat for them.

Porthcawl were then penalised for kicking the ball away after the Dulais try, with the game restarting with a penalty on the halfway line, Dulais missed the kick to touch caught by Dom Manaseitava Dulais quickly up in the face of Porthcawl.
Porthcawl were several meters from their own try line having been pushed back by Dulais under Pressure Taylor Gape the second row for Porthcawl kicked the ball in had chased by Jack Olding who also booted the ball taking Porthcawl into the 22 of Dulais.

Olding not having the legs on this occasion was backed up by Connor Mundy who picked up the bounce nicely scoring on his Birthday, converted by Bennett Porthcawl pushing the lead 38-24 Porthcawl were ecstatic it wasn’t over yet though could Dulais upset the game once more?

Porthcawl now buzzing with excitement continued to play fast flowing rugby with some well worked attacking phases, Dom Manaseitava carrying the ball over in a team effort put Porthcawl in a comfortable position converted by Bennett Porthcawl 45-24

From the restart Dulais caught their own ball forcing Porthcawl to panic again, penalised by the Referee for hands in the ruck, kicked the ball to the far corner Dulais lineout.

The well organised lineout of Dulais couldn’t stop Porthcawl’s Josh Woodbridge who stole the Dulais lineout 5 meters from the Porthcawl try line, a catch and drive by Porthcawl pushed Dulais back to the 22 cleared by Roberts who chased his own kick.

Swiftly followed by Jack Olding again who went to ground securing the ball for Porthcawl, in the Dulais half it was panic stations again for Dulais the referee penalising them for going off their feet at the breakdown in the closing minutes of the game.

Quickly taken by Bennett Dulais were caught napping and penalised again for not being back 10 meters Porthcawl were now just outside the Dulais 5-meter line 5 meters in-field play was stopped for ab injury.

Under the current Covid variations Porthcawl could not opt for a scrum, so it was either a lineout option or tap and pass, Porthcawl setup in attack with the majority of the players to the left of scrum half Mundy with another well thought out move Mundy dummies the pass left only to pass right to Woodbridge who flicked it on to Dom Manaseitava scoring his second try of the match converted by the inform Bennett again.

Credit to both Porthcawl and Dulais Valley a very entertaining game.

Porthcawl 52 Dulais Valley 24


Match Report By Ryan Woodbridge




There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments