08 April 2019 / Club News

Porthcawl RFC 43 Taibach RFC 7

Porthcawl took advantage of the perfect afternoon conditions to convincingly record the ‘double’ over local rivals Taibach, racking up seven tries in the process.

The visitors initially proved a difficult outfit to crack as they purposefully stood toe to toe with the Seaweeds pack and it was always going to be a case of the Porthcawl backs having to make the best of possession. It was fully 17 minutes before Porthcawl opened the scoring as wing Jake Thomas dived over at the corner following No. 8 Leon McNally’s blindside burst and Full back Ben Thomas’ deft scoring pass. The try was bettered by an outstanding conversion from fly-half Josh White from the right hand touchline and 7-nil.

White was in the thick of it again a short while afterwards, when he kicked ahead and regathered as the ball bounced favourably before he fed the ever-present McNally, who crossed near the posts for a great try, just reward for his imperious run of form in recent weeks and White converted the try for 14-nil.

Second Row Will Robinson was having a solid match with his surely handling and making the hard yards and he made the space for centre Sean Wilcox to put Ben Thomas through, carried on with a super run through midfield by Jake Thomas, creating the overlap for Ben to finish off the move for another lovely try at the posts, White converting for 21-nil as Taibach struggled to cope with the Seaweeds inventiveness behind the scrum.  

As Porthcawl continued to press for the bonus point try, a breakaway by flanker Jake Furness and superb hands from prop Matt Cook down the right hand touchline, put McNally clear and he in turn put Jake Thomas over for his brace try at the corner, with White’s conversion this time drifting just wide and at 26-nil the bonus point was secured.

The Seaweeds rounded off the half with a flourish, Wilcox sending co-centre Aled Davies through the middle for flanker Ben Asprea to take the scoring pass and cross at the posts, White again converting for 33-nil at the break.

The second half was barely a minute old when Porthcawl extended the lead to 38-nil as Aled Davies strode over for a try at the corner, following Cook’s good approach work again, with the wind taking White’s conversion wide.

Jack Robbins came on at scrum-half with Tom Davies moving to centre with Wilcox off before a brilliant run out of defence by McNally almost brought another opportunity, then White took a bang and left proceedings, before Taibach finally got some reward for their efforts with a try from lock Ashley Jones following a driving scrum, the conversion from scrum-half Craig Clement adding deserved extras from the touchline with a super kick and 38-7.

This score by the visitors reflected their ability to restrict Porthcawl and keep the score down in the second half and was no more than their commitment credited.

Full-back Ben Thomas wrapped it all up for Porthcawl as he latched onto the end of Furness’ midfield break that saw a quick set-up and Thomas made no mistake as he scooted over for the unconverted try for 43-7 at the end.

Porthcawl will welcome Resoven to South Road on Saturday and will be looking to avenge their recent last-kick one point defeat 17-18 at Resolven.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments